Total Pageviews

Friday, February 22, 2013

Frugal Confessions

I always thought that you needed an ice cream maker in order to make homemade ice cream. Maybe this misperception was not entirely my fault; almost every magazine ice cream recipe gives you a list of ingredients to put together and then ends the directions by saying “freeze mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.” That is, until recently. About six months ago I began to find ice cream recipes in magazines such as Woman’s Day and Rachel Ray that did not require an appliance. I was intrigued! Then when Nigella Lawson, my new favorite chef, whipped up a Margarita Ice Cream by simply mixing the ingredients together and setting it in her freezer, I knew that it was time to give some of these recipes a try.

As I gobbled down my first batch of homemade vanilla ice cream two weekends ago, I couldn’t help but be thankful for finding recipes that broadened my homemade-horizon. Now we can have it all: save money from having to purchase a small kitchen appliance (between $20-$80) as well as eat deliciously creamy ice cream with just three natural ingredients.

Not only was I thankful, but I was inspired to research other small kitchen appliances that the world can do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment